Monday 17th April 2023
Second of the Pikes and/or Trig. Points Walks, Cheetham Close
Nineteen walkers started from Turton Tower, on an overcast and chilly morning. We began by turning right, out of the car park and followed the route of the West Pennine Way, (WPW) up to the trig point, on the summit of Cheetham Close (329m). As the wind was chilly and visibility poor, we decided not to search for the ancient stone circle but instead we made our way down the hill towards Edgerton. The route passes Dimple Hall, originally built in 1668, during the reign of King Charles II, by a wealthy landowner.
Once across Cox Green Road we followed the stream through a small attractive valley down to Blackburn Road, which we crossed, and headed across the fields to Walmsley Unitarian Church, where we enjoyed our morning coffee in the graveyard. Continuing to follow the route of the WPW we made our way around Delf Reservoir onto Longworth Road and down into Longworth Clough. It was at this point that we left the WPW, and turned left along Longworth Lane, that passes Dunscar Golf Club.
At the bottom of the lane, we re-crossed Blackburn Road and joined a lane leading to Eagley Mills. The complex, of mills, cottages and social club was a model village built in the late 18th century. In 1820 the site was redeveloped by the Chadwick brothers and continued production until 1972. After spending time admiring the village, we ate our lunch alongside Eagley Brook.
Once refreshed we made our way through the village and up to The Last Drop where we followed the lane to Turton Golf Club, heading around the course and across the fields and eventually joining the Witton Weavers Way. After turning left for a short distance, we followed a footpath on our right that headed down into Chapeltown, from where it was just a short walk back to Turton Tower, having covered a modest 8.5 miles.