Monday 23rd April 2018


MONDAY 30th MAY 1988

Greenmount Village Walking Group was started as a church walking group by Christine Taylor and Brenda Armstrong, hence the first name ‘The BC Hiking Group’.


This is a copy of the very first walk report.

We went on our first hike on Monday 30th March 1988. It was a cloudy day but the rain held off as we made our way to Edgworth via Golf Club, Affetside, Jumbles, Turton Tower and Chapel Town where we had our lunch sitting near the village stocks. Brenda read out a short spiritual piece of prose and we all agreed that we should have a time of contemplation on every hike.

Unfortunately, we arrived at the Edgworth Ice cream shop during their lunch hour. We then made our way home via the Rifle Range.


MONDAY 23rd APRIL 2018

Heading for Jumbles

The Anniversary walk followed the route of the first walk and five walkers left Greenmount Old School on a cold dull morning and made our way passed the Golf Club and headed for Croichley Fold and on towards Two Brooks Farm taking the path at the back of the farm building which leads to Turton Road. Once across the road we climbed up to Affetside along the steep cobbled path and on through the village to the Jumbles Reservoir where we had our coffee break.





Small Grebe on Jumbles Reservoir


After coffee we made our way to the footbridge and spent some time watching a small grebe trying to catch its breakfast.







Fossilized Tree


Our next stop was at the site of the fossilized tree, as one of our group had never seen it. We were sad to see that someone had set fire to the viewing platform which made it difficult to get close to the tree.







Wayoh Reservoir

As we made our way to Turton Tower the clouds stated to lift and we could see patches of sunshine. From the tower we continued to follow the route to Wayoh Reservoir, avoiding being put in the stocks in Chapeltown, and on to Edgworth where we stopped for lunch, eating our sandwiches overlooking the bowling green in the sunshine, followed by tea and cakes from The Barlow Café, which were very good.



The Big Stone

Suitably refreshed we continued to follow the route by heading towards Top of Quarton only to find it blocked by a large herd of frisky looking cows. Fortunately, our detour allowed us to see a reed bunting and we were able to go passed the ‘Big Stone’.

Once back on the route we crossed Hawkshaw Lane and headed for Holcombe Rifle Range and back to Greenmount having covered a distance of 11.5 miles